Leading causes of residential fires in Fort Collins and how to prevent them
There are many risks you have to think about as a homeowner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can arise in various places and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were over 350,000 noted occurrences. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to keep them from arising|. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Fort Collins.
What causes residential fires in Fort Collins?
Fires can begin in any spot and without notice, whether ignited by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or an ignored stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread kinds of residential fires in Fort Collins and all other areas. Neglected stovetops are the primary origin, so always keep an eye on that hot skillet when cooking. It’s also important to note that soaking a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Portable heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Operating them for too long might result in inner components breaking down and igniting. Putting heaters by flammable objects like bedding and drapery or using worn cords will also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and ought to be examined regularly.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, defective outlets, and overburdened extension cords are a few of the ways electrical issues lead to fires. Whenever you discern sparking, flickering lights, or strange odors, get it investigated promptly.
- Candles: When there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and typically result from careless behavior. Placing them within a pet’s domain or next to flammable objects will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Dozing off while holding a cigarette or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can cause devastating results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Fort Collins is to eliminate careless behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle burning unattended, and properly discard cigarettes. If you have to operate a space heater, do so sparingly and get one that has an automatic shut-off feature in case it overturns.
Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Fort Collins
You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more near bedrooms. But you can take your safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. In addition, because they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring representatives whenever a disaster takes place. This is a notable benefit, particularly when you’re not home to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.
Protect against various risks with a Vivint smart home in Fort Collins
Elevate the protection of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You can personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant alerts to your mobile device and the reassurance that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Contact (970) 703-0718 to talk with a Vivint representative.